1. Matt hasn't figured out how to keep the cookies crisp once the frosting is added, so he puts them together shortly before serving.
2. Or he frosts them and put them in the freezer. YUM! They are even better frozen.
Ingredients for 3 dozen 5 cm (2 in) single cookies:
· ½ cup sugar
· ½ cup butter at room temperature
· 1 teaspoon lemon zest
· 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
· 1 egg at room temperature
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 1 ½ cups flour
· ½ teaspoon baking soda
· 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
· ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Measure flour into a separate bowl.
2. Add remaining dry ingredients, stir to combine, and set aside.
3. Cream softened butter and sugar together.
4. Add lemon juice and zest.
5. Add the vanilla and egg and mix for at least 20 seconds.
6. Add dry ingredients in 4 or 5 increments, stirring well after each addition.
7. Either roll into logs, wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate overnight, then slice,
8. OR refrigerate for at least one hour or until firm.
9. Roll out, one-third at a time, on a floured board or silicon mat.
10. Cut to desired shapes.
11. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 -12 minutes.
1. Beat together:
· ¼ cup softened butter
· 2 cups powdered sugar
· Pinch of salt
· 1 ½ tablespoons milk or cream
· ½ teaspoon lemon zest and 1 tablespoon juice
Roxanne's note: I like to sprinkle colored sugar on top before baking. In the spring, add a few drops of green food coloring to some sugar, mix it well, and sprinkle away. With the lemon filling, the cookies remind me of daffodils.